Monday, January 18, 2010

zodiac illustration

I went to work doing some illustration today and managed to finish three paintings, all which were pretty abstract. They're actually characters based off the western zodiac signs, and the character concept was developed by Shelley Low and me. For my own amusement I decided to do a series of illustrations called Zodiac Shadows. Basically, no matter what sign you were born under, you have some flawed traits that are defined by your sign.

I only came up with Gemini, Sagittarius, and Virgo since only my close friends and me seem to be into this, so I was more comfortable drawing them out first.

Here's the one for Gemini. This was the first one I worked on and was based off of Shelley's design. It's called "Paranoid Fear."



The worst enemy is one's own evil twin.

Here's Sagittarius. Sagittarius are supposedly free spirited and chase wherever their arrows guide them. The title of this one is, "Do not chase too far. You won't return."



The last one is Virgo. I took a more abstract approach then the previous two. I find a lot of things wrong with it. I don't like how it leads your eye off the picture. Nonetheless, I've colored it, so there's nothing I can do. Virgo's aren't big risk takers and the reason is because the risks just aren't worth it.


If you take a closer look, the Virgo pic and the Sagittarius pic go together. It's actually illustrating my view of what happened with my relationship with my ex, whom I've broken up with last month. I just felt like drawing it out.

I'm glad I was productive all day.

1 comment:

  1. I still think it's scary that we both had similar ideas about the gemini dark side and I never told anybody about that because it's personal. truth be told, I feel like my own 'twin' is actually my better half and my personal demons are something else entirely - but I'll explain that some other time. ;p

    well done on all of these though. I love that you're painting more and you're really getting good at it.

    ReplyDelete